So, as you may have heard, I have had a lot of free time on my hands. I have been trying to be productive, and at least that's been working, for the most part. I started researching graduate schools, because my chemistry major gpa hasn't been the best, so I want to know that I have options. After looking at countless websites, I ended with 19 schools. I had to weigh the requirements and what not, and it took me the good part of a night. It worked out fine, though, because Justin did homework the whole time I was researching. Most of the schools were even east of Michigan, with a select few west of the Mississippi. Arcadia University (Glenside, PA) is my top choice, for two reasons: it is one of the few that is accredited through the FEPAC, and it is the closest to Philadelphia. Philly... well, it has several appeals, which I am not going to get into right now. I'm sure you can guess one of them. But it is also a reasonable distance from both New York City and Washington DC, and it's not one of those cities that scares me. Anyways, I have a top six list, and Arcadia is #1. The others in the top six list are: Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY), Boston University (Boston, MA), University of North Texas (Fort Worth, TX), University of New Haven (West Haven, CT), and George Washington University (Washington DC). They are all clearly going to be hard to get into, so that is why I have back ups, but I am not going to list them all now. The problem with all of these places is that they are expensive, and I am already having trouble finding a job. Oy, of all things to try to figure out right now... but I did learn something else from all of this research, which leads me to the other way that I have been spending my time...
I need a full year of general biology to get into most of these graduate schools. Which I, for some reason, thought I could get around, initially. This is my future... why would I think that I could get around that? Anyways, today I was trying to rearrange my schedule for the next two years to fit in a year of general biology. I got it to work, somehow. I thought I was going to have room to take an elective in Scotland, and then in my final semester... but I won't. I will be taking biology instead. So this is what I am going to be doing in the next two years... Well, this coming fall I will be taking physics II, calc II, Shakespeare's plays, American lit II, and criminology. 18 credits, here I come. Argh... Anyways, in the spring, while I'm in Scotland, I am planning on taking forensic chemistry, intro to the history of Scotland (counting as cultural heritage II), modes of reading (about classical stuff), and revolution to revolution: lit 1640-1750 (counting as pre-1850 lit). So I will be busy in Scotland, but the classes at least sound interesting. Then, the fall on 2010, I'll be taking biochemistry I, another pre-1850 lit class, analytical chemsitry and lab, and intro to cell bio and lab. I'll be busy, but that's the semester that Justin's going to be in Philly (oh, Philly...), so it will be better if I'm busy. And my final spring will be spent doing this: senior seminar, an American lit class, Brit lit II, and microbiology and lab. But in doing all of this, I will get two majors and all the prerequisites required for admission into most of the grad schools that I found. So, basically I've been planning my future. Haha, future...
I do have a small tidbit of good news... I contacted the head of housing about possibly being an RA my senior year after a semester abroad, and I was asking about reappointment. Well, I found out that I don't have to reapply, it can be treated as a reappointment, since I am currently an RA. This is exciting for me, because I have always wanted to live in a cottage (or, you know, a really nice apartment. Haha). So, although I still don't have a job and am running out of productive things to do with my time, I may have a set job for my senior year again. :) This small thing makes me smile.
Well, that's all I have. Now, because I am who I am, I am going to list the other schools that offer a master's degree in forensic science... well, the other schools that I am considering. I don't want to call them safety schools, per se, because this is a completely different game than applying for undergrad...
Chaminade University (Honolulu, HI)
Towson University (Towson, MD)
John Jay College of Criminal Justice (New York, NY)
Pace University (New York, NY)
Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA)
Florida International University (Miami, FL)
Marshall University (Huntington, WV)
Nebraska Wesleyan University (Lincoln, NE)
Southeast Missouri State University (Cape Girardeau, MO)
University of Central Oklahoma (Edmond, OK)
California State University (Fresno, CA)
University of Alabama (Birmingham, AL)
Southern Utah University (Cedar City, UT)
No comments:
Post a Comment